Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Savannah and South

I slept in, taking all the time I needed to pull myself together in the morning. After an exciting breakfast of toast, juice and coffee, I decided to visit the historic district of Savannah.

Jack and I had our first argument. He tried to kidnap me, and head back for Virginia Beach. About 20 miles north of Savannah, I took control, and made a u-turn. This time, I figured out how to get to the Georgia information center. I learned that the nite before, I had been just where I needed to be in the historic district. I also learned that the best parking was there, but it was a 15 block hike to the waterfront,. Aww, I don’t think this is what I want to do. It’s cold out, and from the map, 2-3 days would be a good time to spend in Savannah, I’ll save it for next year.

By that time, I wasn’t speaking to Jack, and didn’t for another couple hours.

I finally arrived in St. Augustine about 3 p.m. – and Jack steered me wrong again – but only by about 2 blocks. I guess I can forgive him, since we’re sharing the car for the next several months.

What’s in a name? Yankee Clipper and Lawn Ranger – both for landscaping companies.

It really is cold down here. The campground JT and Myra are staying in is about a ¾ mile walk to the beach, but it’s been too cold to walk along the water. The campground has a pond with bass, catfish, bream, etc to take care of JT’s fishing obsession. The only real drawback is that the showers and toilets are about what seems like a 9 mile hike down the road.

We caught up on each other’s news, took a quick orientation ride and ate dinner. They told me it was going to get really cold. I know she is really cold blooded, so I didn’t think too much of it.

Bedtime came, and I wrapped up in my super warm double fleece blanket. Put a book on tape in the player to put me to sleep. It was very cozy in the camper. I really didn’t need my heavy fleece blanket. I woke up sometime during the nite – my arms were cold. I slipped on my sweatshirt, which solved that problem. I settled down again, tossed and turned awhile to find a comfortable spot, and drifted off to sleep. In awhile, I woke again because my sweatshirt kept separating from my waistband, and my back was cold. I grabbed my jacket, re-wound the book, and tried to settle down again, but it took much longer to fall asleep this time. Finally, finally, deep, restful sleep……… for awhile, anyway. Once again I awoke. I was in a tight fetal position, and freezing. I tried to straighten out my legs, but one of them seem frozen in place. I was cold!!! I rummaged through the cabinets searching for another blanket. I found one of Myra’s beautiful handmade quilts, and threw it over the fleece blanket and my jacket. Oh, my. This was wonderful – I cuddled down in the blankets – warm at last. Now at least I could sleep comfortably for the couple hours left til daylight. …………..
Oh, No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o ………………………Now, I’ve got to pee! !!!@#$%^&*()_

And so ended my first day in Florida.

Bear Hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment