Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Solvang, California







Photos:
1. Farmer's Market Solvang
2. Farmer's Market - Carrots and Onions
3. Farmer's market - Flowers
4. Danish Style Buildings
5. Danish style buildings


I left San Bernardino about 10 a.m. to avoid rush hour traffic, headed to Solang, CA about 200 miles away.

I followed directions given by an Uncle of Margie’s – took Hwy 126 off Hwy 5, headed for Ventura, CA. I saw signs for avocados for 25c each. Wow!!! Where? Then I saw a sign for avocados and tomatoes at 10c each. Where? Where? I never did spot a stand selling them.

I drove through orchards – Oranges – Valencia I assume, since I drove through Valencia, Ca along the way.

I decided to take a short cut (read: detour) to Ojai – which added an hour or so to my trip, but was a beautiful drive through winding mountainous roads. I ended up nearly in Ventura, so the short-cut was just a very enjoyable interlude.

I travelled through Santa Barbara and finally arrived at Solvang, at about 4:30 p.m. – so much for a short, 200 mile ride.

First thing I did was locate the visitor’s center, a bathroom, and a campground. I called a campground recommended by the visitor’s center, and made reservations, and started exploring.

Solvang was settled in 1911 by a group of Danish educators, and it has retained it’s Danish heritage, in food, architecture and even souveniers. It boasts 5 windmills, 5 Danish bakeries, numerous parks, and a couple of museums.

The small town has about 150 shops, and I swear every 3rd one is a wine tasting establishment. We are in the midst of California vineyards. Since I hadn’t eaten since breakfast, the next thing I did was visit the Farmer’s Market, which was only held on Wednesday, fortunately, that was the day I arrived there. I browsed all the beautiful fruits and vegetables. This was
Strictly a food market. Fresh brown eggs, shiny red tomatoes, sweet smelling corn, home-made bread, Oh, pardon me – they also had fresh cut flowers for sale. Oh, gosh, look at those strawberries and cherries. I ended up buying some homemade olive bread rolls, some garlickly cheese curds (Oh, yum, I don’t have to wait til I get to Wisconsin to taste fresh cheese curds!!!)

I supplemented my purchase with some sliced ham and provolone, and a small bottle (2 glasses worth) of wine! I wandered along until I located a bakery, and had a wonderful Danish pastry, and a coke (bad habits die hard)

I stopped in a quilt shop – they only sold quilts – no fabric – so I asked about a quilt fabric store. The lady said it was quite away from here – nearly 3 miles! I had to bite my tongue to keep from giggling. 3 miles – far away?????

I found one quilt / yarn shop that carried Nordic table runners by the yard. Really interesting, but I have no need for table runners now.

It was getting close to 6 p.m., and time to set up the tent. I found the campground, and a space and set it up. Once finished, I sat down to dinner of Olive rolls, ham, cheese and wine. Not bad!!!! It was quite pleasant weather-wise. With the sun going down, it became quite cool, and I crawled into bed about 8:30. About 3:30, I woke up – cold. Had to unfold another blanket (I’ve gotten smart – I bring all the bedding into the tent so I don’t have to dig in the car for it in the middle of the nite.) By then, I was wide awake, so started typing up my San Bernardino post.

I finally settled down about 4:30 and went back to sleep. I don’t feel a bit alone here – I feel like I’m sleeping on the shoulder of the freeway though, which is very close by. When I fell asleep, I had a really weird dream – not a nightmare – more like Keystone Kops. I wonder out of which depths of my mind this came from????!!!

I awoke feeling like I’d was in an oven. I had chosen a shady spot the evening before, but it was in full morning sun now. Hot, Hot, Hot. I got up, had a breakfast of what else – olive rolls, ham and provolone. Then I dismantled the tent. It seemed to take forever. I thought putting it up in breezy conditions was a pain, taking it down – without leaving in a couple of stakes is also a pain. But, finally finished, I packed up Madame and headed back to Solvang.

But, first a visit the that quilt store. A really nice store, but nothing unique or calling my name, except---- the bathroom! It was so cool!!!! It had three walls of murals, and a motion activated frog who croaked at me as I placed myself on the throne. On the back of the door was a poem about hidden objects in the murals. I found the dragonfly, certain flowers, butterflys, catapillars, but not the row of ants, and a few other things, too.

I had visited Solvang with my parents about 35 years ago. I remembered it as being inland – but it’s quite close to the coast. I realized later that they must have driven down Hwy 101 when we were there, way, back then.

Hey, check this out!!! A fabric store with 99c fabric! Buttons for pennies, trim for 3 yds for 99c. Looks intriguing. Unfortunately, it’s only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and today is Thursday. There is a T-shirt in the window that says: “My husband lets me have as much fabric as I can hide!!”

I wandered in and out of shops, picked up some more pastries, a slice of dark chocolate, raspberry fudge (for research, you understand) Stopped in a shop full of Danish lace curtains and linens. (Caught my eye cause I have a Royal Danish linen tablecloth, from an Aunt – who’s friend smuggled it out of Denmark decades ago. At the time, this particular design was not allowed to be removed from Denmark)

I must have pushed a wrong button on the recorder cause all I can hear is my footsteps and crinkling and crunching of my bag as it swings against me.

I wanted to see the Elverhoj museum which showcases an 18th century Danish farm, but it won’t open for over an hour, and I have to get on the road. I’m anxious to see the Pacific.
That’s OK – I have to save something for my next visit.

I’m looking at a tablelamp about 2’ tall. It has a shade covered with peacock feathers, the stand of the lamp is a manikin shape with a skirt of peacock feathers. Cool! Not that I’d ever own one, but cool, anyway. I like peacock feathers. Especially when softly brushed along my bare *****Oh never-mind. We won’t go there!!! Not now, anyway – if ever!!!

I left Solvang about 12:30, stopped to get gas and ice, and headed up Hwy 101 toward San Luis Obispo.

Until Next Time,
Bear Hugs
Boots

*****Foot, Fool. My bare foot! What did you think I meant?

1 comment:

  1. Oh you silly funny woman! It sounds like you are having a great time. Dont you love just wandering around the shops on your own. I know it's fun to have people to look at things with, but there is something to be said for doing things in "your own time".
    Ok, now I picture a little (not too) rig, with a sewing room, a fudge kitchen and lace curtians. Oh year, a computer rooom too...\and dont forget a bed, and at least a pull out for all of us to come and visit!

    ReplyDelete