Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Neither snow, nor sleet, nor hail. . . . . .

That about says it in a nut shell! When I started out yesterday - it was about 20.
My last stop was the library - I was there less than an hour, and while I was in the buildng, it started snowing - like a down pour - huge, wet, heavy flakes! In less than 45 minutes, there was so much snow on the truck I had to sweep even the top of it!

I made it home, and later in the evening, I went upstairs to speak to Angie - It was Raining! Not so terribly unusual, but then Amanda said she went up on the roof a short time before to shovel the snow off, and nearly as soon as she got up there, it started hailing - good size hail stones and........wait...... Thunder and lightning too! Now, that is unusual!!!!

It is warmer today - In fact, I over slept and woke up groggy just because it was too, too warm in the room - the living room registered 60 - I think I'll be so used to the cold by the time I leave here, I'll have to sleep in my tent instead of a house.

Today, we are celebrating great-grandwidget Kyler's 2nd birthday - I was supposed to be designated driver to pick up Raven and the kids - but guess what??? I can't get out of the driveway. Yesterday Angie went on about why Luv doesn't have 4-wheel drive! And, went on to say that she was too much of a vehilce for me - what was I thinking - a 3/4 ton AND a diesel???? (It kind of sounded like she was saying I was too old for this lifestyle!!!) Any way, time will tell if she is correct or not!

I didn't realize I hadn't posted for 3 weeks - my how time flies when you are having fun! I am very happy to be able to tell you that I now have 35 quilts finished - only 5 left to go! And, I finally got ahold of Denise who committed to making 10 of them - and she is on track as is Corliss - so when I get back to Virginia we'll have the 60 quilts done and can deliver them!!!! What a relief.

Of the 5 left to do - 2 are completed tops just need backing 1 is cut out and the other two - the fabric is chosen and gathered - so should have all finished by mid week!

While I'm writing this, I'm making Kyler's cake - white cake with semi-sweet ganache frosting! While I'm definitely not a fan of white or yellow cakes with chocolate frosting (it's a visual thing) I have to admit the cake - dense, moist, heavy is delicious and the frosting is perfect - not too sweet - just right. (I made the same cake last week for Angie's birthday) I think I'll try a chocolate cake done the same way next time. The cake starts with a cake mix - I can't believe I'm doing this - I, Boots Benson, who always makes scratch cakes, has discovered the perfect cake which starts with a cake mix. Oh, well - Progress? Modern technology? Age?

I will be so happy to finish the quilts with plenty of time left for all my other sewing projects - means less fabric I need to get rid of when I leave. I have to say, though, 40 quilts will take up quite a bit of room! But they are only going as far as Virginia!

Anyway, cake is out of the oven and cooling - time to see what I can get done in the next couple hours before leaving for the birthday party.

Until next time,
Bear Hugs,

Luv 'n Boots

No comments:

Post a Comment