Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A DAY OFF!!!

Today, I enjoyed an unplanned day off! I was up early to gas up "Luv", returned to the house at about 8:30. Thought lovingly of my nice warm bed, but decided projects must come first.

I chatted on-line with friend Myra for a bit - during which I checked the weather.
No wonder my fingers were so cold! It was only 1 degree outside - 42 in the living room.

The upstairs was empty - Amanda and Brayden were headed up north to spend the night with Amanda's sister, Cody was off on business of his own, Angie was off to her long day of work and won't be back til nearly 9 this evening. Dannny-boy and Danny-girl were there for awhile

I had planned to put together 3 more of Brooke's shirts then take them upstairs where it was warmer to hand stitch the facings, but my fingers just wouldn't warm up. In the end, I took the 3 shirts I already had ready (I'm making Brooke a total of 9 shirts - so far!) my scissors, pins, and a book. First thing I did was curl up on the sofa with a warm blanket - still in my jacket with my hands pushed deep within the pockets and fell asleep. Once I woke up, my hands were warmer, and I started reading the book.

As you know, reading is like popcorn to me, but I finally tore myself away from the book and stitched the shirts while watching NCIS. About this time, Cody returned, hungry as only a teen-aged boy can be. He fired up the deep-fat fryer - his specialty, I think. I thought he was making hot wings, but instead he deep-fried raviolies, mushrooms, and a chocolate chip cookie! Don't knock it until you try it! Now, I've had deep fried Twinkies, and Snickers bars, but the cookie was a first for me. Interesting, don't knock it til you've tried it!.

When I finished the sewing, I returned to my book, and in time, fell asleep once again. I woke up at about 6 p.m., and headed down to see if I could manage the cold - which I could - after all it got into the low 30's today, even though it was 0 last night - it is now 52 in the living room - and toasty in the kitchen.

While making a run to Jo-Ann's yesterday (thread and stuff for Brooke's shirts) I saw a sight that you would only see in the Northern parts of the country in winter. How I wish I had my camera with me.

The temps are inching up during the day, but we still have plenty of snow piled up, and it's quite cold at night. Amanda says the melt-off won't even be done by the time I leave the end of March. Anyway - I saw a teen-age boy, with headphones, jeans and a sleeveless shirt - shovelling snow. What a site!!!

On Friday, Angie and I are headed to Saratoga Springs to the BJ's. I need a big bag or two of fresh almonds. One to munch on - the other - well, Angie has asked me to make up some almond roca for her to take to work for her co-workers. She "says" she won't be eating any of it - well, I do believe it - she has lost 20# since Christmas (I've found some of them, and I'm keeping them safe) And..... during the same time, she has quit smoking. I call that a real accomplishment.

By the way - I have an artist friend living in Massachusetts - I hope to stop by to see her when I head south. I just love her art. So much of it speaks to my Nordic roots. Please check it out at" lindagravesartist.com. I met her when she lived in Chesapeake, and I'm looking forward to visiting her. I hope very much we can connect.

while you are at it, check out my cousin's website at digitalmontanaphotography.com.
He generously photographed our family reunion last summer - but that's not why I want you to check out his site - he does wonderful work - check it out and don't forget to see his ballerina project - it's awesome!

Well, my sewing machine is weeping - I don't know if it's because she had a day off, or she feels neglected. In any event, it's time to put the laptop away, and fire up the sewing machine! Since I slept so much today, I'll be up late tonight - maybe I'll get those other 3 shirts done afterall!

Until next time,
Bear Hugs,

Luv 'N Boots

No comments:

Post a Comment