Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Saturday, November 6, 2010

BREAD, BREAD, BREAD

Since I've been staying with Janet, we've been experimenting with different breads.
We've made raisen, cinnamon bread, stromboli, pumpkin spice, buttermilk, jalapeno and cheese, and many more.

The other day, I decided to try an olive "Tapanade" bread. It called for olives, capers, anchovie, and garlic. Janet checked her frig, and showed me the capers and the garlic so all I had to pick up were the olives and anchovies.

Now, I've told you before - I am not a cook. I have never used capers in my life. I had them once on a salad my first born made, but I, myself, have never used them.

So, I gathered up my ingredients, and chopped merrily away. When I reached in the fridg for the capers, I had a little trouble finding them. Finally my hand grasped a bottle with little round green things in it. I proceeded to measure, chop and stir, and soon had all the ingredients incorporated and resting in the bucket.

As I was cleaning up, I picked the jar of "capers", and guess what??? I had put in pepperinos instead of capers!!!

But - as it turned out - it was a great mistake. Last night we had openfaced sandwiches of Tapanade bread, fried cheese, tomatoes, avacados and baby spinach.
It was delicious!!!!! The pepperinos added an intersting bite to the bread.
While I was trying to design the sandwich, I thought of Carol in Chico - she came up with many delicious open faced sandwiches while I was there.

I'm still trying to organize my photos, as soon as I accomplish that - I'll finish up my trip blogs.

Until next time
Bear Hugs
Luv 'N Boots

I'm out looking for myself. If I should return before I get back, ask me to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment