Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Monday, March 22, 2010

Back Roads of Texas








I left Joy at about 10:30 a.m., and leisurely drove west. The weather was perfect. Large, fluffy clouds scudded across a blue canvas of sky. Spring flowers in yellow and pink mixed with the bright greens of grass. As I drove northwest from the coastal plains toward hill country, I passed small towns, and farmland, and I could see to the far horizons. Such wide-open spaces.

I fixed my keyboard – with 2 AAA batteries. Duh!!!! So now, I can wax poetic – copiously.

I feel I’ve been stingy with photographs. I remember way back when I always carried 2 cameras and figured if one photo is good, 10 is better – so I plan to take many more photos as I travel.

Driving the backroads makes it so easy to stop, or make a u-turn to take a photo. I had to make a U-turn to take photos of a small herd of Long-horns, and I kept snapping until I got a good one.

I stopped at a historical marker, then drove down a dirt road for a time, just drinking in the fresh country air – stopping to watch a herd of black angus grazing in a field of wildflowers.

I only had about 200 miles to drive to San Antonio, but I took nearly 8 hours to do it.

I stopped in Shiner to visit a painted church. The church looks quite ordinary from the outside, but is beautifully painted inside – in the middle European style, this area being settled mostly by Germanic immigrants.

I stopped in Luling for the “best Bar-b-que in Texas”, and then followed Hwy 90 until it re-connected with I-10 outside San Antonio. I hadn’t even asked what part of the city I was headed for. I let Jack take the lead, and wouldn’t you know it …….. He took my straight through the middle of San Antonio on Commerce St., Friday evening about 5:30 or 6, during spring break.

I had planned to see downtown on Saturday, and leave Monday morning, but after seeing the crowds Friday nite, we just ran errands on the weekend, and on Monday I’ll be visiting the Alamo, and Riverwalk.

Til next time,
Bear Hugs
Boots

No comments:

Post a Comment