Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Saturday, November 17, 2012

STILL HERE!!!

Brutus has come and gone, he left behind moderate piles of snow – at least here in Belt – in other areas, he brought a lot more snow.  

Snow kept us housebound for 4-5 days – didn’t bother me -   Then one day, we felt the shift in the wind and the Chinook was on its way!   Temperatures soared into the 40’s   Snow started to disappear, Tucker could finally find his facilities.    The reason we were housebound is that Diane’s house is half-way down a hill – which means she has to fight through the snow to get back up the hill.   Her son came over one day with his 4-wheel drive truck and drove up and down the driveway to break it open.

I spent a couple hours shaking snow off items I had stored on the porch -  hauled boxes and bags in and set them in the bathtub until dry.  

The day it hit 40 before 9 a.m., I resumed packing the truck -   I have it nearly done – and hour or so, will leave just my immediate clothing and bedding to pack. 

We’ve been busy cooking up holiday goodies this week -  bunches of fudge, some almond roca and almond bark – starting on the chocolates today.   I successfully made fondant – a first!   And burnt a pan of goo that was supposed to end up as hard candy.  

I found I will have to learn to make candy all over again, due to the high altitude and dry climate.   My almond roca was done 20 degrees before it should have been.  Fudge has to be wrapped up asap to keep it from drying out.   And I remembered why I didn’t like sugar cookies while I was growing up – they turned rock hard!!!  

I’m busy tying up loose ends as I’ll be leaving here a week from today - I got a cover for my broken tail light – but can’t figure out how to put it on.   Have to find heart worm medicine for Tucker,   need to renew my driver’s license – I think I can do it on-line – if not, don’t know exactly what I’ll do.  Have to get an oil change – and mail a mountain of packages!

I guess I did make progress this week, after all!!!

We’re still watching old movies in the evenings – this week we’ve focused on Fred Astaire -  Tonight, I think it will be Doris Day.

Holly asked me what I’ve been reading -   Mostly James Mitchner -  The Source, Processional, Mexico,  and Chesapeake.   Edward Rutherford:  Old Sarum,  and some mystery stories – oh yeah, when I first got here, some Agatha Christie books.

We are going to have a houseful for Thanksgiving – and dinner with all the trimmings.   I wish you all a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving.

Until next time,
Bear Hugs

 Luv ‘n Boots and Tucker, too
And don’t forget Little Bear

She believed she could do it and so she did!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment