Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Saturday, October 6, 2012

JOY RIDE!

I now know where I would live if I could live anywhere in the world!!!!

A couple days after our first snow we drove into town and the Highwood Mountains were so beautiful – it was early evening, and they were in cloaked in blue shadows with a “dusting” of snow. (as proved later, it was more than just a dusting)    I wanted photos. 

The next afternoon we left Belt for the mountains, which are very close.  As soon as we left, we were in cattle country – rolling hills and wandering creeks.   Individual farmsteads were decked with fall foliage and the bright blue sky was laden with clouds pregnant with snow.  

The roads were well graded and wandered up and down and around.   The views were awesome.   I took many photos, and Tucker exercised his voice by barking at cattle, horses and deer, and sometimes nothing at all.  As we edged by the Highwoods, we drove through an area arched with golden trees and then started climbing the grasslands once again.  

We were on top!   Not of a mountain, but of a prairie hill – and the view was breathtaking!    Just last week as we were driving around Flathead and Whitefish lakes, I wondered to myself if there was anywhere left in this country with a view that was not blocked by McMansions!    Well, folks, I’m here to tell you there is.

Standing on top of the world, I had a 360 degree view.  To the south, about 50-60 miles across a broad valley, – the Little Belts and Kings Hill,  close behind us the Highwoods,  to the northwest – over 100 miles away the Rockies and to the northeast – stretching as far as the eye could see – the eastern prairies of Montana.   You stand in one place and turn in circles and see only nature in her finest.   The snowstorm had cleared out all the smoke, and the Big Skies of Montana were overpowering.

I always think, when I see a home built on top of a hill in Montana, that it must have been built by non Montanans because no native in their right mind would build there because of the wind.  The wind never stops here – east of the mountains.  But, I tell you what – if I could I would and never, ever complain about the wind!

 I did not take photos from the top because a flat image could never convey the beauty and vastness, the images are engraved on my heart!

The farmsteads were mostly along the creeks – we only passed 4 “stand alone” homes during the entire drive – they were built on top -  two were across the road from each other, the other two were over a mile apart – no other structures cluttered the top!

 Of course if you wanted to built here, that is if any of the landowners would consider selling even a smidgen of their land, you might want to have unlimited funds – wells would have to be deep – very, very deep and electricity would have to be brought for miles.   Yep, you’d need deep pockets, indeed.

Actually, you’d need the attitude, also - many a pioneer went mad on the prairie, of loneliness and the incessant wind.

So, now I know where my dream space is and I’ll visit it from time to time, and hope the landowners hold firm and my next visit doesn’t have McMansions strewn across the “Top”

Until next time
Bear Hugs

Luv ‘n Boots and Tucker, too
And don’t forget Little Bear

She believed she could do it, and so she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment