Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Sunday, June 3, 2012

A PAUSE IN TIME

I prepared to leave Grand Forks, packed the truck, chased down Tucker who had escaped (I really must have looked a sight!   Chugging – “running” wouldn’t quite fit the description – down the street, wildly waving my arms at an approaching car, finally cornering Tucker in a neighbor’s garage)

 We said our good bys, and I started off.  Almost immediately, my “check gauges” light came on.   I checked under the hood, thinking, …… well, I don’t know what I was thinking as I had checked

All fluids just before leaving.   Everything looked OK.   Temp gauge was high, but came down as it naturally would – so I started up again.   I barely got on I-29 when the light came on again.   I stopped and this time when I looked under the hood, I noticed a belt didn’t look right.  I looked more closely, and – Oops, the serpentine had snapped!!!!

I called AAA and arranged for a tow, then called cousins Marge and Ray who drove out to where I was.  Ray determined that the A/C compressor was frozen and likely caused the belt to snap.

 In any event, Luv was towed to the dealership where she spent the night.

 What little cash cushion I had is gone, but ………. I once again will have a working a/c.

My plan now is to leave Sunday morning headed to Scranton ND to meet a cousin I’d not met before – to get info on my Grandfather’s side of the family, and maybe to sleuth out a little more info on the “family scandal!”   

 So, let me ask you….. If an event happened over 100 years ago, is it appropriate to try to solve it?   The first generation that it had effect upon are all gone now, and the 2nd generation – my generation is mostly gone, and who else would care?   Anyway, I’m too curious to let it go now.

 As a teaser – I may not be who I think I am!!!!!



Until next time,
Bear Hugs

Luv ‘n Boots & Tucker, too

 “She believed she could do it, so she did!”




No comments:

Post a Comment