Our Lady of the Blue Highways

Our Lady of the Blue Highways
Portrait in oils by Jackie Poutasse

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'M BACK - more or less!

We returned from Bozeman last week.   I still don't have my computer back, but thought I'd write a few
lines anyway.   I want to post more photos, but I can't do that until I pick up my computer - which I am happy to say will be tomorrow!

Last Saturday, cousin Diane, Tucker and I went searching yard sales in Great Falls.  What fun - I haven't done it for years.   Found some stuff for my camping tote - rug for inside the tent door, container for utensils, and a pancake turner!   Oh, and books.   Diane got a handful of Agatha Christies that she hadn't read, and I found 3 James Mitchner's.   One is my favorite - the Source, and the two others I had never read - strange, I thought I had read all of his books.

We stopped at Hempl's bakery and got maple bars - such memories.  I don't know why I couldn't find them back east!

On Monday, we took both cars - hers and mine in to the dealers to have them checked out.   I wanted to make sure everything done in Grand Forks was ok and a quick look to see if something else was wrong with the A/C    Diane's car was checked for oil/transmission leaks (details to follow in blog about Bozeman)
Her car passed with flying colors - and at no charge.   Mine - well they found a shorted fuse and loose battery cable - cost $50    but, I now have A/C again!!!!  Could this be the time it is fixed for once and for all?

We then picked up lunch and took it to a nearby park to enjoy.   Tucker enjoyed the park, also.

My computer is not going to cost as much as I feared, either.   When I talked  with Ben about it over the weekend, it sounded like it had turned into a major job.   He tried to talk me into removing all my games.  Not Likely!!!!  I explained that the games are not the problem, they are all on the D drive - it's the C drive with the operating system, and everything that came with the puter that is filled to capacity.    But, he called last night said it was ready - the fan was gunked up causing it to shut down every hour of operation.  He's installed new hard-drives - at 10 times the size and made the old hard drive into an external drive.   He says it's really fast now!  I hope that means I can upload photos to the blog faster.

I ordered my new tent and had it shipped to Barb's in Helena - Oops, they said at first it would not be delivered until July 9 - 11th - then they sent word that it had shipped June 30 -   Well - Barb is not home this week - and I'm still in Belt.   I'm glad I specified it had to be signed for!

Diane and I are planning a couple camping trips when I get back in August.   I'll be with Barb until July 25th and then I'm heading to NW Montana - to the Kalispell - Glacier park area.   At this point I don't know if Barb will be travelling with me -  We are going camping the middle of July for 4 days - at a campground with vault toilets and no showers - I'm not sure I told her that little fact yet.   We'll see.  We'll see.   She just may decide camping is not her lifestyle after that weekend.  That will be my first experience camping with "Loners on Wheels"   I'm checking them out cause I'm thinking about wintering at their home ranch in Demming NM.

The tent is not the one I had decided to get while I was in Maryland - that was one room plus a screen room, instead this one has 2 rooms with large windows - it's about 82" high so I can walk upright anywhere in the tent.   I just hope I can put it up by myself - it's not the instant up I had planned on.

Mother Nature must be experiencing some PMS.   Debbie's visit to Florida impacted both Myra and JT and my cousins Sandy and Gregg.  As far as I know, Myra and JT did not have any damage to deal with, but Sandy and Gregg are still mopping up!   At the same time,   Barb in Helena was evacuated from her home in the wake of a forest fire - luckily the fire was under control before it got to the residential area.    And... same weekend -  the storm the started in Indiana and raged through the mid-atlantic - left Brooke and friends with no power for a week.  I saw on Facebook that my niece, Micki, sent Brooke some good advice - 2 years ago they had a fire in the power box and was without electricity for 7 weeks.

Here, it's been beautiful - even with the wind.   Highs in the 80's, lows 35-40  with low humidity - so it's been perfect!   

Tucker is waking around on the desk while I'm typing - he loves pens and steals them as often as possible.  

He is so tiny, I realized one of his back legs and thigh is no bigger than a small chicken!  Some comparison.
He is busy making friends for me.  Everybody is taken with him.  

I'm so enjoying being here at Diane's that I've invited myself to stay for Thanksgiving dinner.   When I get back, we are thinking of taking a few days and traveling up to Canada and driving around the Glacier/Waterton Peace Park area.  

There is one particular drawback though - Diane and I are surprisingly alike in a lot of ways - very laid back - we can spend a day in the same house without much talking - reading books mostly.   We like to eat the same things - for the most part.  We both like camping and road trips.   We just plain like to eat - very dangerous to a diet!  I made bread again today.  - Tomorrow - the 4th, we plan to have Beer Baron sausages on home made hot dog rolls, potato salad, baked beans etc, etc, etc.   Belt had it's 4th of July celebration last weekend.  Diane's house sits on a hill overlooking the town - a perfect set-up for watching the fireworks.!

Until next time
Bear Hugs

Luv 'n Boots, and Tucker, too
And, of course Wee Beastie

She believed she could do it and so she did!

No comments:

Post a Comment